Monday 22 July 2024

Longlegs. Film Review

 I went into this one knowing very little about its story, having avoided teasers/trailers and reviews. I was aware of 'early bird' comparisons with Silence of The Lambs via social media posts, and that Longlegs had been labelled '"he scariest film of the decade".  Did I find it scary? No. The only film that really scared me was my first viewing of The Exorcist which was shown on a double bill with Exorcist II at a local cinema. This was at the age of 17 when I had already seen a good number of films on the big screen. However, I did find Longlegs to be enormously unsettling, with a feeling of dread inhabiting every minute of the running time.

FBI agent Lee Harker (Maika Monroe) is assigned to a case known as 'The Birthday Murders' and her tense, nervy character can be related to subconscious suppression of childhood memories. Harker possesses unreliable psychic abilities; an 'asset' that's all the more chilling when we realise just where her powers came from. Monroe delivers a terrific performance here, as does Nicholas Cage as a facially scarred instrument of pure evil.

The cinematography by Andres Arochi Tinajero is exceptional, working in tandem with a soundscape that's never less than completely unnerving.Together, they fully succeed in getting right under the skin and staying there. Director Osgood Perkins installed several moments of dark humour into this film, but at the 2 screenings I attended, not a single person laughed. Maybe we had temporarily forgotten how?

I will not go into any plot details for the benefit of those who can't get to a cinema and are awaiting a physical media release or streaming. What I will say is that Longlegs is certainly worthy of your most earnest attention and that multiple viewings are required to plumb its hidden depths and to better appreciate just what am achievement this is.






No comments:

Post a Comment