Friday 31 January 2014

Top 10 Discs Of 2013: Number 1. Sleepwalker. BFI

I noted at the beginning of this exercise that my choices for the Top 10 Discs of 2013 were in no order of preference, and that still holds true with the exception of number one, which really does stand out for me as the best and the most welcome release of last year.

Saxon Logan's Sleepwalker has a history that goes back to 1984, and a time when UK film policy changed forever; a state of affairs which denied people the chance to see the film. Now, Sleepwalker has risen like a phoenix from the ashes and has become one of the jewels in the BFI's 'Flipside' series of releases. The disc contains some terrific extras, together with a fascinating and extremely moving interview with the director that showcases a remarkable career and a true passion for filmmaking.

You can read my original review (written several years ago after catching a rare theatrical screening by clicking HERE and you can also read my review of this disc by clicking HERE


I'm aware and very grateful this blog receives visitors from all around the world, so I want to amplify the point that the Sleepwalker Blu-ray is Region-Free so jump all over this one people and hurry. It won't be available to buy forever!

Selecting my top 10 choices has been pleasurable but extremely difficult, with some titles so very hard to leave out. So, I'd like to conclude by mentioning some of the other discs that have marked me over the course of the last 12 months.

Texas Chain Saw Massacre 2 (Arrow Video)

Blowout (Arrow Video)

Dr Mabuse der Spieler (Masters Of Cinema)

Like Someone To Love (New Wave Films)

Baron Blood (Arrow Video)

Heaven's Gate (Second Sight)

Robin Redbreast (BFI DVD)

2013 was a great year for Home Video releases. Let us hope 2014 is just as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment